Thursday, January 23, 2014

To be or not to be...HAPPY

Hello.

Recently my husband asked me if I am happy.  I answered yes.  ''All the time?'' he asked again in disbelief.  I said yes.  "Really. How?'' he looked as if in shock.  My answer very simple, "I choose to be."  You see I am human and I also have a temper (still working on that one) and I can be a pain at times (working on that one too) and I am also a mom to a three year old (who started his terrible twos at eighteen month and it is still going).  I get stressed out like any other mom and wife, sometimes even cranky, but a few years ago I realized something that has saved me from a lot of problems.

I used to try and control everything.  I was always micromanaging everything, chores, work, exercise, relationships, my kid, the list goes on and on.  If something did not go the way I had planned, I would turn into a huge bitch.  Hey, first step is admitting it, right? 

Fast forward a few years, I no longer let things I cannot control change or affect my day in such a way that I would become hostile and offensive to other people.  Recently I started going to church and reading The Bible.  I have learned to let go.  Every night when I put my son in bed, as I am rubbing his back until he falls asleep I think about how blessed I am.  When my husband gets home with food just in case I am hungry (because he knows me so well), I know I am blessed.  When I get up in the morning, taking in that first breath in the morning I know I am blessed.

Every day I make this choice consciously and I try to abide by this decision.  Sure I get upset ( I am human), but even when this happens I sit back and look at the whole picture.  Is this upsetting moment even worth allowing it to rob me of my happiness, 9.5 out of 10 times the answer is no.  I choose to laugh with my husband and his jokes (even when they are not super funny), to rejoice in the little things, to dance, to love, to smile, to give, to forgive, to be silly, to enjoy my family. 

The way I see it, the Lord is in charge of everything in my life.  He takes care of everything and he has made it so easy that I only need to make a choice, to be happy or not to be happy.

 All in all, I choose to be Happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment